Quote:
"When linking up home and school the variety of children's popular cultural worlds needs to be considered. An 'asset' model can be applied, which acknowledges these influences as assets in the development of children's meaning-making. When children's texts go to school they can be readily comprehended and supported." (69-70)
Comment:
I think this is so true. In the world today think how much children are influenced and effected by popular culture. If we can some how incorporate pop culture (music, TV shows, movies, etc.) into our classroom we may be able to bridge the gap between home and school. Also, by bringing children's popular culture into the classroom, we will make our class more interesting to our students (bringing in subjects that matter to them).
Question:
What are some ways that we can incorporate children's pop culture into our lessons?
I thought about this as well. I'm not sure how I feel about it at this point. IS popular culture an appropriate thing to bring in to the classroom? Students' needs and backgrounds vary so much, that it might be hard to bring in things that every students connect with, or that some students' parents wouldn't find offensive. Is there are way you could create a popular culture within your own classroom that students could take home with them? I agree that what students are exposed to outside of the classroom has a huge impact on them, and if they can make connections to it within the classroom, they may be more motivated to learn. I just wonder about the best way to do this.
ReplyDelete