Comment: When I think about readings, I think about picking up a book and reading it. But, with this quote, I am reminded that children reading is much more than just picking up the book and sounding out the words. Children need the background of the book. They need to understand why and how things are portrayed in the book in order to be prepared and make plans for reading it. We as teachers are essential to helping students have that understanding for a book. Teachers need to feel comfortable activating that background of the book for the children that they teach.
Question: The book gives the example of the Giver and how the teacher sets the students with the background by them imagining a perfect world. What book would be fun to share with students and how would you "active the background" before the readers are ready to dive in?
No comments:
Post a Comment