Quote: "17% of the students report that they would rather clean their room than read a book, 14% predicted that they would spend very little or no time reading when they grow up, and 10% reported that people who read are boring".
Comment: During 3rd-6th grade this is how I felt. I hated reading at school, i felt like i was forced to do it and that I didn't have a choice in what I read in school. My teachers would read to us from chapter books but they seemed bored with it and read to us only so they could cross it off their list of things to do that day. I liked reading books at home with my mom but when i had to read for homework i refused to do it. My classes would always have a reading party at the end of wach month. And the students who read 20 minutes each day and brought back their weekly reading notes were able to go. I remember only going to 2 or 3. Even a party would not motivate me to read.
Question: In what ways can we encourage reading and make it exciting?
One way that we can make reading exciting is by letting the child choose the book they want to read. When we do this we are already have the child somewhat interested in what they are reading about. Another way we can make it exciting is by giving them motivation to read. Have the reward for reading a book be that you will take your child to that movie (if that is applicable). Show enthusiasm for it! Enthusiasm rubs off easily.
ReplyDeletePerhaps we could let children pick what book we are going to read for the day. As for motivation, I believe the book said that it's great when the reward is a book, because then the children start thinking "Books are rewards. They are valuable. They are something I want," instead of thinking, I'm reading this book, just so that I can go to the party. I also agree with Nachelle, be excited!!!!!
ReplyDelete