"...teachers play a critical role in helping children develop into readers who read for both pleasure and information."
"...in order for students to develop into mature, effective readers they must possess both the skill and the will to read."
Comment:
I love this! And I think it is a challenge that teachers face. But we all need to realize how important it is. It is so important that we embrace our role as teachers, not just to teach subjects to the children, but other valuable things like a love of reading, being a good friend, a good attitude about learning etc.
Question:
What are some ideas or good ways to teach both of these things?
I think whenever a person accels at something they love to do it and they keep getting better and better. To instill this concept into elementary students I think you just need to make them good enough in reading and writing to realize how much fun it can be. This might include finding book thats approach their favorite hobbies or writing about a topic of their choice.
ReplyDelete~Diana Blauer
One way to help students become readers for pleasure and information is to expose them to lots and lots of books. When I took childrens lit my teacher would spend lots of time each class period holding up book after book and telling us about them. Each one she was excited about and told us why we would enjoy it. I kept a running list and did actually go and read some of them.
ReplyDeleteAs a teacher we could od this. We could also have our students write book reviews and make short presentations(book talks) to get their fellow students excited to read.