Saturday, September 25, 2010

Diana Blauer (4) True Education

Quote: "I believe that the only true education comes through the stimulation of the child's powers by the demands of the social situations in which he finds himself. Through these demands he is stimulated to act as a member of a unity."
Comment: I really liked this comment made in "My Pedagogic Creed." I like this idea because as I taught swimming lessons I noticed that kids had a hard time focusing on learning to swim because they felt like water was a play setting. The truth is that as kids learn about their settings they are aware of how they are to act. In school they know they are supposed to be more quiet and listen to the teacher with set rules. I had a hard time getting kids to settle down to learn in a setting where they usually get to play in the hot sun.
Question: What are some good ways to help kids focus on tasks at hand and create a more united classroom?

1 comment:

  1. I liked this quote from "My Pedagogic Creed" as well. I like the part that says "he is stimulated to act as a member of a unity." If we can get our kids to understand that the classroom is a place for on-task behavior and learning, we can create a learning community like we've talked about in our classes. As far as your question about helping kids focus on tasks, that's something that I'm hoping to learn a little bit more about this semester too!

    ReplyDelete