Monday, September 27, 2010

Alicia Voellger(4) Visualizing

Quote: " Students who are good visualizers are often disappointed with the film version and the actors who perform as the characters, but those who don't visualize are often amazed by the film and prefer it to the book."

Comment:  As a young child I was always one of the top readers in my class. I don't remember learning how to comprehend stories...it was just something I did. When I read the above quote, it gave me a sort of measurement to think about. I thought about the Harry Potter books. I have read every book first and later seen the movie versions. I remember being displeased that the Snape on screen did not match the vision in my head. On the other hand I had had a hard time visualizing how the game of Quiditch was played but seeing it on screen helped me to easily visulize it then nexdt time I read.

Question: Today, movies are a multi-billion dollar business. The top movies made in the US are translated and subtitled into many different languages. I think the movie industry is definitely a new literacy form. How can we as teachers incorporate that into our teaching?

1 comment:

  1. I think that showing clips of different movies is a good way of incorporating film into the classroom. I think different clips would be effective because this way it's short and shows a particular scene or situation. I think you should show those parts that are particularly interesting or just hard to understand or visualize in the book. I think that if you show the whole movie the students may stop paying attention, and you may also have to deal with a lot of copyright issues.

    ReplyDelete