Quote: The home is where children learn much of their literacy skills (Pahl 53).
Comment: How true this is! I learned how to read by my mom reading to me every night and by coming home and drawing, writing, and practicing my letters mostly at the home. As a teacher it is important to recognize the power the family and home have on a student's literacy. If I do not actively encourage my students to read with their parents and practice various literacy's with them, then I am not fulfilling my full responsibility as a teacher. School is only part of the child's day, and the home is the rest, so it is only fair that I combine both in my classroom. By using the home as a means for children to show their motivation for literacy and then taking those home literacy factors, schooled literacy will be more enjoyable for all students.
Question: How can I encourage parents to actively use literacy in their homes, especially if they are non-English speaking?
No comments:
Post a Comment