Thursday, September 30, 2010

Courtney Harrison-Fluent Readers

Quote:pg 65. "Perhaps the most important outcome of teaching students to create rubrics, according to Skillings and Ferrell, is that students develop metacognitive strategies and the ability to think about themselves as writers. "-I think that it is cool how the students can put the two and two together and to really look at how they write when they set guidelines for their own writing.
Question: I don't really understand how choral reading helps students to improve their phrasing. How does singing the word help them to really improve reading speed just because they sing as fast as the rest of the class? This seems weird to me.
Comment: I thought it was interesting on pg 55 when it talked about students using computers early on. It said that there are a lot of benefits to this and that students are more motivated to write and also tend to write longer pieces when they are typing on the computer. I thought this was interesting and totally true.

1 comment:

  1. We kind of talked about this in class for a few minutes, but choral reading can be benefitial because it isn't just singing the word, it can be other oral activities too. It helps struggling readers with valuable reading practice because they learn to read more expressively and increase their reading frequency.

    ReplyDelete