Saturday, September 11, 2010

Robin Gleaves (3), Motivation

Quote: "I believe it is within the power of every teacher to inspire and motivate children to find a lifetime of pleasure and information in the reading of good books." (Gambrel, 20)

Comment: I think this is a brilliant point and something that we really need to grasp now in order to better implement it in our own classes. We don't always understand our influence on the children we come into contact with. In regards to having a love of any subject, I have always believed the same notion as the above quote. I remember a science teacher that I had in 6th grade who absolutely loved her job and was always excited to teach us a new science concept. She instilled in me a love of a subject that before I had not thought twice about. If we can learn to channel that ability to inspire our students, we will be great powerhouses of teachers.

Question: What is something that you can/will do to inspire your students to have the love of reading?

1 comment:

  1. I think that the best thing we can do is, what the book says, and just model a love of reading. Especially when they are young children idolize their teacher in a way that gives the teacher great influence over their students. If we as teachers model excitement for and a love of reading we will be implanting a love of reading into each of our students. If we don't make the students believe that we love reading there will be no way that we can convince ours students to love reading.

    ReplyDelete