Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Lene Kristine - Sec 4. Education and Sociality

Quote:
"I believe that the only true education comes through the stimulation of the child's powers by the demand of the social situations in which he finds himself."
-John Dewey

Comment:
The connection between a social situation and education is interesting, and I think that we learn from our social settings and experiences. These are the kind of experiences that are embedded into us, thus they are true education and we learn from and remember them. As teachers I think we have a responsibility to not only create a classroom of educational learning, but also social learning, a community if you will. It is important for the students to develop social skills, and through the social interactions in the classroom they can retain what they learn there (be it math, health, or how to be nice to classmates) better.

Question:
What are some ways teachers can create this type of classroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment