Quote: Students must understand what they're reading to learn from the experience; they must make sense of the words in the text to maintain interest; and they must enjoy reading to become lifelong learners.
Comment: Although the quote is pretty straightforward, it made me really think about reading and how it affects us and children. Comprehension is so important to make reading even worthwhile. I used to think that if I just read the words, that would be enough and I would be able to go on my way feeling like I had accomplished something. But to really understand the words that are being read transforms reading from passive to active. We have all had those times where ours eyes cross over the words and when we are at the end of the page, we have no clue what we read. Children need to make sense of the words instead of merely looking at them to understand and to actually want to continue. I never really liked reading until I read something that really related to me and that I could draw experience from. After that, I was so excited to read and now I love reading! I want my students to love reading as much as I do and to maintain a love of reading throughout their lives. So much can be learned from a good novel.
Question: How do we get kids who say they hate reading to give it another chance and really try to enjoy it?
I really like that quote and can relate a lot to your comment. I agree with what you said. Reading is more than just looking at words and saying them, its understanding what is meant. Comprehension is the key as well as relating what you read to your own life. If a kid says that he hates reading, I believe that there are a couple of things a teacher can do.
ReplyDeleteFirst, offer him a variety of books that relate to him. See what he is interested in and get him excited about a book that will help him learn more about what he likes, such as sports, pokemon, etc.. Second, give him opportunities to be successful as a reader. Encourage him and be positive. Discuss with him what he is reading. Third, don't give up on just being an example and being enthusiastic about reading when talking with the child!