Saturday, September 18, 2010

Shalyn Shelton (3) Children's Texts Go To School

Quote: "While it is perceived by parents and teachers as a point for seperation, the school-home border can be bridged."

Comment: Not only can it be bridged, but I believe it should be bridged. As I have said before, children are more willing to learn of they can see a connection to what they know and what they already are interested in. I enjoyed reading this chapter because it helped me to not only see more why this is important but how we can do it. I liked the scenario at the beginning of the chapter because it shows us how we can notice what children already know how to do and incorporate that into their new learning.

Question: How can we find out about the literacy practices of our students, share them in a community of practice with the class, and build on these practices in classroom settings (pg. 70)?

2 comments:

  1. I think that the best way to find out about the literacy practices of our students is simply to ask them. A Literacy show and tell would be great for this, students could bring their favorite books, stories they have written, magazines they like etc. Then we could build on these interests by providing as much choice in reading and writing activities as possible.

    ReplyDelete