Quote: "The book bag is one example of this practice [child schooled literacy practices], whereby a child is sent home with a book to read. This is accompanied by a reading record, in order for the parent to communicate how the reading had gone."
Comment: "I nannied this summer for a 4 year old and in his preschool they use to give him books so he would take home. He picked his favorites but they rotated the books each week. He LOVED it! We read the books like ten times a day. It was such a big motivator to know he could show us his books from school. However we did participate in making him show us the book.
Question: What would you do to motivate or keep track to see if the parents or guardians are helping the child build that gap between home and school? :)
I really like sending folders home at the end of the week. Parents can see children's work, calendars, notes to parents, etc. Then they would sign off that they looked at it. I also like show-and-tell. When I was a kid I loved bringing something in to share to the class about!
ReplyDelete