Monday, September 27, 2010

Comprehension- Rachel Thomas section 3

Quote: "Comprehension is the goal of reading; it's the reason why people read. Students must understand what they're reading to learn from the experience; they must make sense of the words in the text to maintain interest; and they must enjoy reading to become lifelong readers." (tompkins, p. 257)
Comment: I agree with this statement. I feel that the reason I did not enjoy reading as a young child was because I was slow and I did not always comprehend what I was reading. Because of this I have never liked reading very much. I envy people who enjoy reading. I am working on loving it but it takes time on my part to learn this. Comprehension is important for life long learning. If you comprehend something, you will be more likely to remember it for the future.
Question: "How do we help our students in the comprehension process?"

1 comment:

  1. I think one way is to let them feel confortable to communicate when they dont understand something. Also when you see a word that you fear they might not understand complety ask the class if they know or just explain right away.

    ReplyDelete