Comment: I thought this quote was a little scary, not so much a bad type of scary but the type of scary that spurs you to action and change. It is so important that children become lifelong readers, because our whole community and world deals with reading and literacy in many different ways. It students aren't enjoying what they are reading, though, they won't want to keep reading, and in order to enjoy their reading they need to be able to comprehend it. I've never thought much about comprehension before but I realize now that there are so many factors of comprehension that need to be addressed in the classroom on a regular basis. When children don't have to spend all their time decoding the reading, they can focus more on what they are actually reading and figure out how it applies to their life.
Question: How can we integrate the various aspects of comprehension into our classroom on a regular basis, while still making reading time fun? What activities and assessments are best when trying to increase/assess comprehension?
I agree with you! That is a scary thought! I think it is important that we give students books that they will enjoy reading. You don't have to hand out boring books for learning to take place. Learning/reading should be fun for students. By the end they should love reading. I don't think it is too hard to integrate comprehension into our and still make reading fun. You could have students tell you about their books that they are reading for SSR and ask them questions. Or you could have book groups. Get 5 different books and tell about each. Then let student pick a book that interests them. Students will then be in groups and be able to discuss the book (you would need to give them prompts and learning activities- comprehension activities).
ReplyDelete