Quote: "For reading practice, students often choose "pop" literature that's fun to read but rather ordinary. These books are often more effective than high-quality literature selections in helping children develop fluency because the vocabulary is more controlled, which allows students to be more successful."
Comment: When I first read this all I could think about was how it was recommended to use Captain Underpants to get boys interested in reading and at first I thought, no way! But I remember that I learned best how to read when I read the fun "pop" literature like Amber Brown and Junie B. Jones. How enjoyable it was, and because my parents and teachers let me read that, and then eventually challenged me to read longer more stimulating books with harder vocabulary I was willing to listen to them, because they let me read the easy books when I wanted. My fluency was positively effected because my parents and teachers were patient with me, so I need to be patient with my students too and let them read "pop" literature. As long as they are reading, that is what is best!
Question: How can I encourage those who hate to read, even the "pop" literature? Should I research and look up fun kids books and have lots of different genres so all cultures and personalities are accounted for?
I think that you should those students who hate to read pick what they want to read no matter what it is and encourage them when you see them reading because that will help those students. Being a child who really didn't like reading I would saw when teacher simply let me choose my own books I was much more likely to read and to enjoy it.
ReplyDelete