Friday, September 17, 2010

Alicia Voellger(4)

Quote: In chapeter 5 of Tompkins ist says, "Research shows that instead of "busy work" activities such as using their spelling words in sentences or gluing yarn in the shape of the words, it's more effective for stufents to use this study strategy:
1. Look at the word and say it to yourself.
2. Say each letter in the word to yourself.
3.Close your eyes and spell the word to yourself.
4. Write the word, and check that you spelled it correctly.
5. Write the word again, and check that you spelled it corretly."

Comment: In first grade I remember as a class going over a our spelling words in a strategy much like this one. I have it a boring and tedious process. After our class discussion today I realize that this was because I needed to be challenged more. The strategy wasn't helpful to me because I already knew how to spell the words. The same idea is true of a struggling speller. If he/she can't spell any words on the list they may become frustrated and give up and there is not much chance they will learn ten new words in one week. So as teachers we may be using wonderfully effective methods but we always need to check that our content is at the correct level to gently move our kids forward.

Question: Is small group spelling studied along with leveled reading groups or is there a better place to put it?

Question:

1 comment:

  1. I definitely think it's a good idea to have spelling groups. If an advanced speller is told to work on cat, hat, bat, etc. you're going to lose them quickly. I think it's important to find several activities for the students rather than just repeating them as well. I think a crossword puzzle would be fun. This way it's something entertaining, but they must also spell the words correctly in order for the puzzle to work. In my elementary school we also got in a big circle around the room and spelled the words one letter at a time. This made it so that everyone had to be engaged so that they knew the letter they had to say. If you got it wrong you sat down, so it was a contest as well.

    ReplyDelete