Comment: I agree with this statement that one stage of the writing process may not be finished when another one starts and they can happen out of order. I think that students should understand that writing can constantly be improved upon and revised. I think that students should learn that writing does not have to be such a structured process. This fact may make it less intimidating for students to write. Writing seemed so daunting when I was younger because i felt that each step along the way had to be done perfectly because I would not be able to fix it later. To me, this way of looking at writing seems much more manageable because each part is important and can be repeated.
Question: How can we demonstrate to our students that writing does not always have to be a linear process when teaching them about writing?
I think a good way to teach students that writing doesn't always have to be a linear process is by having free writes. During this time there could be one key rule which is that the students pen/pencil cannot stop moving...that students must get all their thoughts out on paper and not worry about spelling, structure, etc. This will show students that an important part about writing is simply getting ones thoughts on paper...organization can come later.
ReplyDelete