Quote: "...educators the challenge of: finding out about literacy practices of their students, sharing them in a community of practice with the class, building on these practices in classroom settings" (Pahl, 70)
Comment: This quote was taken from the end of the chapter and it challenges educators to include the culture and community of each student in the classroom AND to connect it to their literacy lessons. This is an overwhelming challenge with understandable advantages. The best idea that I can think of in order to allow children to share their independent ways of composition is to attempt to have students write journal entries addressing a broad prompt that would allow them to discuss such cultural textual experiences. Than have them each share with the class what experiences they have had at home with composing different types of texts. This is also exciting for me because I believe it will help me to better understand how each childs mind works. I am not sure I fully comprehend the idea behind this quote but my thought process has led me to interesting ideas and I hope to further implement them in my own classroom.
Question: What do you think of the ideas this quote is proposing? How can it be applied to the classroom and why is it beneficial?
No comments:
Post a Comment