Quote: "Having students read interesting books written at their reading level is the best way for them to apply comprehension strategies. As they read and discuss their reading, students are practicing what they're learning about comprehension."
Comment: I agree with this. I think that it is important for teachers to have students read a variety of books. If the students are interested in what they are reading they are more likely to pay attention and comprehend the story. Also, if students read something that they enjoy reading they are more willing to talk about it to you and classmates (more likely to do comprehension activities).
Question: Do you think it is a good idea to have students choose their own books? Do you think they will be more willing to do comprehension activities with their own choice or with your choice?
I think it's a good idea for students to choose their own books, because then they will be reading what they want to read; however, sometimes students choose books that are too hard for them so they don't really comprehend what they are reading, so that's why it's good to have small reading groups where the teacher picks the book to help students with comprehension. But I definitely think it's way important to let students choose books as well!
ReplyDeleteI think having the students choose there own books is very benefical because I remember having to read books that I hated and I still only like to read if I am able to choose a book I like, otherwise I will not read it. On the other hand I do feel that there are some books teachers need to choose for students because I read some that I liked because my teacher made me. So, I think both have a place and need to be used in the classroom setting.
ReplyDelete