"In fact, students comprehend better when they generate their own questions than when teachers ask questions."
I thought this was so interesting, because from my own experience, it can be very challenging to come up with my own questions as the student because I don't always k ow what exactly he important points are that I should be looking for. I found it helpful to think about reading with a question in mind (very similar to our prophet's council while reading scriptures or the ensign! Ahhhh, it's for greater comprehension and understanding!). To help the students with this, I think it might be beneficial to have them reading some comprehension questions (like in the back of a text book) before they read so they can be looking for those points.
My question is not very deep, but it wasn't very clear to me: what is the difference between the ideas of "drawing inferences" and "predicting"? They sounded very similar to me.
I believe that predicting is what happens before you read. You look at clues such as the title, cover, and maybe pictures to form ideas about what the book may be about. I think drawing inferences happens more while you're reading the text. Even though something may not be spelled out exactly in the words, you may be able to make conclusions of what is going on in the story by combining information gleaned from both the text and pictures of a book. Hope I'm not way off, that's my interpretation!
ReplyDelete