Saturday, September 25, 2010

Kristen Savage (4) Comprehension, chapter 8

Quote: "Students who feel they have little hope of success are unlikely to become engaged in literacy acitivites. Teachers play a big role in shaping students expectations, and teacher expectations are often self-fulfilling. If teachers believe that their students can be successful, it's more likely that they will be."

Comment: When I read that, it really stuck out to me because we will play such a big role in our student's lives. I know that our students will be able to be successful if they will put forth the effort, but it worries me to think about putting too much or too little of expectations on our students.

Question: How high of expectations will you have for your students? What if students don't feel like they will ever be successful? What are some things you would do for those students to know they can do it?

1 comment:

  1. I think once you become a teacher and you get to know your little people on a real personal basis that you will be able to tell how much you can push them and see by their progress how successful they are being. I don't think you'll get in there and just set a tone of way to high expectations. It probably comes easier to you also once you have taught for a few years and get some experience.

    ReplyDelete