Quote: "Students who feel they have little hope of success are unlikely to become engaged in literacy activities. Teachers play a big role in shaping students' expectations, and teacher expectations are often self-fulfilling. If teachers believe that their students can be successful, it's more likely that they will be."
Comment: This section caught my attention. As I was reading this chapter, I kept asking saying to myself, so comprehension is important, but what can I do to help my students be able to comprehend easier. While expectations was written under the students role, teacher's have a role in how students form their expectations. Not only do I need to believe in my students, but they need to believe in themselves.
Question: What will you do, or what are some ideas you have to help your students have higher expectations for themselves?
I think the most important way to build a child's expectation of himself is to personally have a high expectation of the student. As we give our students challenging goals, they will mirror our expectations and reach for them.
ReplyDelete