Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sarah Rands (3) Chapter 8: Comprehension

Quote: "Comprehension is the goal of reading; its the reason why people read. Students must understand what they're reading to learn from the experience; they must make sense of the words in the text to maintain interest; and they must enjoy reading to become lifelong readers."

Comment: This quote really stood out to me because I struggled with this idea when I was younger. I was able to read young and I was one of the fastest readers in my elementary class. I remember my teachers often called on me to read things aloud. But I had one major problem; I often didn't understand the things I read. Comprehension was something that I struggled with and thus did not enjoy reading for a LONG time. Not until Middle School did I finally begin to realize that books can take you places unimaginable. I want my students to know what they are reading and realize how wonderful books can truly be!

Question: From the reading and personal feelings, how can we as teachers develop ways to find out if our students are comprehending the things that they read? How can we instill this love into our readers and show them that books are truly amazing things?

1 comment:

  1. I think we can get a grasp on what our students are comprehending by teaching them different strategies and implementing these strategies as they read. We can have them predict what will happen, monitor their reading, and summarize what they've read. If they learn to monitor and question what they are reading then they will comprehend more of what they read.

    I think that by taking different approaches to reading ie group reading, reading to the students, independent reading, then students can interact with reading in different ways. If we as teachers love reading, we can instill that love in our students.

    ReplyDelete