Friday, September 17, 2010

Caitlin Walton-Pahl ch. 3 (3)

QUOTE: "When researchers considered how parents could support their children at home, the reading of books became the centre of the strategies parents could be given to support their children's literacy." (Pahl pg. 55)
COMMENT: I have always heard that reading to your children worked wonders in their literacy development. I never realized that research supported it as the most effective way for parents to help support their children in literacy! That is so cool! Plus, not only is it teaching them word recognition and phonics but it gives them parent-child time, which dually adds to their support from home. I know that I have tons of precious memories of reading books with my mom on Sundays and before I went to bed. It was a way she showed me she valued reading and also that she loved spending time with me.
QUESTION: In the reading, it touched on how sometimes the context that children learn things at home isn't necessarily applicable (like the girl writing 'Barbie' at home, but never applying that to school work). Do you think that skills like that are important for children to learn, even if they are seemingly useless in the classroom or with their "school literacy," or should parents gear their children's literacy learning more towards things that are educationally useful so they'll have that advantage in school?

1 comment:

  1. I think that the more skills that students' learn the better. It doesn't matter necessarily if it doesn't tie directly into their education at school, because life isn't always about school. I think that parent's should be concerned with the well rounded education of their child.

    ReplyDelete