Quote: "In home and community contexts, many researchers have looked at how children engage in a number of communicative practices at the same time--perhaps listening to a CD while writing a diary, or text-messaging with friends while doing homework." Pahl, 50
Comment: I found this interesting, because this quote and the discussions in this class are continually redefining my definition of literacy. I find this quote especially intriguing because of the implications of text-messaging being a text, or a form of literature. This is most definitely not a medium that teachers and schools are used to referring to as a form of literature. I can appreciate the implications of saying that text-messaging requires certain knowledge and skills in order to interpret and that it communicates information from one source to another, but I an a little confused as to how it will relate to my role teaching literature in a classroom. Although basic reading and spelling skills go into text-messaging, it has a language all its own (ex. lol, ur, etc.) While I acknowledge the validity of technological advancements in our society, I am not sure that focusing on new and different forms of literacy will be as beneficial as making sure they are proficient in the more traditional and basic forms of the skill.
Question: How relevant and possible is it to address new and forming technological literacies in the classroom? To what extent is it the teacher's responsibility to further the skills of a literacy such as text-messaging?
My definition of literacy is constantly being refined throughout this class. I do agree that text-messaging is a form of literacy as it requires certain knowledge and skills to interpret, however, I would probably use these new forms of literacy as a way of comparing formal and informal writing. I think that there is a difference between formal and informal writing and that it is up to the teacher to show them the correct way of writing. Teach students about language evolution and use this form of literacy to revise and edit writing. Or compare the different literacy audiences in writing.
ReplyDeleteI think it is a complete different issue to further the skills of literacy, such as text-messaging, because most schools have banned the use of cellphones. Lastly, I think that a teacher has greater responsibilities and effectiveness in furthering a students literacy than in the form of text-messaging.
I agree, I'm having a hard time really defining literacy now because it is proving to be a much more all encompassing word. One can be literate in text-messaging (or illiterate for that matter, think about how our parents' text messages) however I don't think we need to focus on teaching our students to be literate in everything one can be literate in. The rise of alternate literacies such as text-messaging seems to be actually hindering the English literacy of our youth as they are not fully developing their communication skills as they have formerly been established. My goal as a teacher might be to keep the traditional English literacy strong and as the students' main form of communication, so just focus on English literacy. This really has opened my eyes to the meaning of being literate though!
ReplyDelete