Quote: "This Theory (Situated Learning theory)rejects the notion of separating learning to do something and actually doing it and emphasizes the idea of apprenticeship."
Comment: This style of teaching seems ideal to me because it is how I learn best. I would rather start a new thing right away and make mistakes along the way than sit in a classroom and learn the theory of how to do something.
Question: What if you were teaching something this way and some children seemed scared to make a mistake and look dumb. What would you do?
At the beginning of the year I would set a safe environment where I let my children know that we do not see mistakes as embarassing but as a learning process. If they feel they did something wrong at least they know they were trying and next time it will come out better. I think I would not approach it once I am teaching a new subject, but it will be like my classroom rule.
ReplyDelete