Thursday, September 30, 2010

Jenaca Jett- Tompkins pg 55

Quote: "Students meet in writing groups to share their compositions with classmates. They respond to the writer's rough draft and suggest possible revisions. Writing groups provide a scaffold in which teacher and classmates talk about plans and strategies for writing and revising."

Comment: I agree that rough drafts are desperately needed before you write your essay. I suggest always writing at least one rough draft per writing assignment, although some people may need more than that. The purpose behind writing a rough draft is so you can edit and rewrite a final draft that will not contain the mistakes of the first (if any are found). Ever since I began writing papers in school I have always remembered a classmate or friend peer editing my paper. Having someone else besides myself edit my paper helped in many ways. Often times the individual peer editing my paper would find mistakes that I never noticed. I also received feedback and different ideas that I could incorporate into my paper. I always appreciated this and felt that it was very helpful when I began my final paper. I think editing should be emphasized when children begin the writing process.

Question: What are other helpful things that teachers can do to help students as they learn about the writing process?

No comments:

Post a Comment