Thursday, September 30, 2010

Fluency: Annie Phillips (3)

Quote: "Fluency is the ability to read efficiently, and it's a bridge to comprehension. Fluent readers are better able to comprehend what they read because they automatically recognize most worlds and can apply word-identification strategies when they come across unfamiliar words".

Comment: I agree that it is so important for students to learn how to be fluent readers. I remember being young and having to sound out every word, and I wasn't able to get the full meaning of the text because I was so focused on reading the words correctly. When students learn to become fluent readers, it opens up a door for them to be able to learn in a more advanced way. Once they don't have to focus on sounding everything out, they can focus on the meaning, which is the goal of reading.

Question: What is one way that teachers can help their students to become fluent readers? What is an activity that teachers could engage the class in that would help them on their way to fluency?

1 comment:

  1. When reading to children, is important to separate what the lesson will be about. When the lesson is comprehension that is what the instructor should focus on. When the lesson is sounding that is what the instructor should focus on. Then with the time both comprehension and being able to recognize words when seeing them will create the fluency the children need.

    ReplyDelete