Quote: "...texts are traces of people, contexts, and implied practices. (Pahl, pg. 38)"
Comment:
I really liked the part where a teacher talked about how some of her boys really liked trading cards. To these boys, the cards were the text for a unique culture and language. I know we've already talked about giving kids what they like to read, but it just occurred to me there is also a type of text that our students will want to read. Based on their home life, some students will be use to reading novels, while others will only want to read informational books or magazines that give quicker information. For years the goal has been to get the magazine readers to read novels and chapter books, but today I think we need to do it the other way too. With everything going digital and online, it is very important that our book reading students know how to skim through pages of web information to find the information they want. Perhaps we should start putting our book readers and magazine readers into groups so that they can teach each other how to read the different kinds of text.
Question: How can I help students who are not as familiar with researching things on the web find credible sites to use?
No comments:
Post a Comment