Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Stephanie Wright (4) Biliteracy

"By using learners' native languages in the classroom, learning is achieved more quickly. . .students who received clarification in their first language were able to focus on the task at hand" (Pahl, 83).

Taking the TELL 400 class has sure given me a lot to think about as far as ESL students go. I don't doubt for a minute that things would be a lot easier for students if everything isn't delivered in English, but I think that the all English language helps them develop their English speaking so much faster. However, they make a good point that if students can understand what they have to do, then they can focus all of their energies on the actual task, not trying to decode and figure out what the directions are. This reminds me of reading with students who don't have the problem of learning a second language too. Are we going to focus on what is most important, things like fluid reading, comprehension etc. or are we going to be nit picky teachers who stop a student after every mispronounced word, or stopping them at every misspelled word? I need to decide now as a teacher what is going to be most important for me on each assignment, and focus on that. If I want them to read it fast enough to understand and follow the story line, I shouldn't be stopping them every time a word is said wrong. Or if I want them to really think creatively and get a good story down on paper, I shouldn't expect them to run to dictionary every time they aren't sure on spelling. I also connect this to the question of are we going to help students say a word if they are struggling on sounding it out. We really need to find the main points students should be learning, and point and help them in that direction. They should be able to focus ALL of their mental energy on it!

My question for these ESL students is how do I translate to their language? Is it appropriate to ask other more proficient ESL students to translate for me? Although I don't think there is a problem in having students help each other, I don't want to be too dependent, or risk "lost in translation" issues.

1 comment:

  1. That is an interesting problem and I don't know the answer to it. It is something that I think about and worry about for my future classroom. I suppose we should just go into the situation determined to do everything we can and go the extra mile to help them succeed. Including parents in this might also be helpful.

    ReplyDelete