Quote: "Zimmermann and Hutchins explain that 'the meaning you get from a piece is intertwined with the meaning you bring to it.'" (pg.261)
Comment: This quote has valuable truth to it. As a reader if I have more background knowledge then I will enjoy and be able to comprehend the book better than if I am reading a book that has no personal meaning to me. For example, I don't have lots of knowledge about space travel and living in other universes, so the book, "Ender's Game" didn't really mean much to me because half of the time I was confused about what was even being talked about (decoding), so there was no point in trying to comprehend or predict the character's reasoning's behind making the choices he does. It is vital that my students read books that they feel some connection to, or that I teach them strategies so they can relate some meaning from their lives to the book.
Question: What about my ELL students, who can't read English very well, or don't have a connection for many of the books Americans are required to read in the curriculum?
No comments:
Post a Comment