Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sarah Means (3) Children's Texts go to School

Quote: "The home is where children learn much of their literacy skills." (Paul, 53)

Comment: I think that it is absolutely crucial that students not only utilize literacy both in and out of the classroom, but also recognize the literacy skills they are using in both settings. When a child can clearly make connections between school life and home life they will be more motivated to learn and will work harder to become skilled, no matter the subject area. Thus, if they find themselves utilizing comprehension strategies outside of the classroom, or identifying letters and sounds they will find that what they are learning in the classroom is useful and pertinent to their lives. If they see the point, they will want to learn more.

Question: How can we encourage parents to utilize literacy more in the home? What is our role as their teacher in promoting literacy in the home?

1 comment:

  1. I love that we used the same quote. I think, to answer your question, the ORIM framework can be a great help to us to help parents with home literacy. This will help them create opportunities for literacy development, recognition of literacy practices, interacting with their children to develop their literacy and modeling their own literacy practices. I think if we can make parents aware of the great influence they have at home on their children's literacy, then they will be more aware of the little things they can do.

    I think our role as teachers in promoting home literacy is to get the idea in the parent's minds and to give them the means to carry the ideas out. The idea of bag books that we send home with the students and have them read with their parents is a great start. Then I think we should just remind them through our interactions the importance of home literacy and how by their reading of the newspaper can influence their child for good.

    ReplyDelete