Friday, September 24, 2010

Shalyn Shelton (3) Reading Comprehension

Quote: "Students need to spend lots of time reading authentic texts independently and talking about their reading with classmates and teachers. Having students read interesting books written at their reading level is the best way for them to apply comprehension."

Comment: I love this quote! It explains exactly how I feel about teaching reading. We can teach concepts and strategies to students that will be helpful, but in the end what will help students with reading comprehension the most is actually reading books they enjoy. The more students read, the more their comprehension will increase. If students are excited about they book they're reading, they'll understand it and want to ask themselves questions about it and make predictions. The actual doing is what will promote the learning. We should help our students find books that relate to their interests and help them to love reading.

Question: What is your personal theory concerning teaching reading comprehension in the classroom?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with this theory. It worked for me in elementary school and still does. I love reading, and the more I read they easier it gets. When I haven't had time to read in a while, it takes me longer to get into a book, but when i read more consistently, I can read authors like Victor Hugo easily. The more you read, the easier and more natural it gets, and the more you can comprehend what you are reading, and make connections from the text. I think allowing and encouraging students to make their own reading choices, that they are excited about is a super way to get them to read and practice comprehension.

    ReplyDelete