Quote " Gee argues the children actually think and use language in different, more complex ways by using videogames" (Pahl 33)
Comment: I found this sentence to be very interesting as well as surprising. I had never really thought that entertaining videogames could actually help children develop language. I can see why though, they read the text that the different characters say, they have to read signs to go the right direction, read maps, and more. I don't think by any means that this statement is trying to encourage parents and teachers to let students play videogames more, but depending on the game, something can be learned by them. Kids these days have so much access to technology and are always on the computer, tv, ipod, cellphones, and gaming consoles, that they are developing and using lanugage in a different way than we used to. I think it is a postive thing but I still think there is more value in picking up a book instead of just relying on technology for everything.
Question: Is it appropriate to allow students to relate to videogames while in the classroom learning about a certain subject or learning about language arts?
No comments:
Post a Comment