Thursday, September 16, 2010

Diana Blauer (4) Creativity in Textual Forms

Quotes: "Children are guided far more by what Kress refers to as synaesthetic activites. They are not as influenced as adults are by the predominance of written text, and tend to be guided more by other modes such as the visual, kinaesthetic, three-dimensional and gestural modes" (p. 31, Pahl).
Comment: I thought this quote was really interesting in perspective of an adult view. How often do we read a sign or billboard and are genuinely interested. We read these texts and think nothing of it but would a child be as connected to these forms of information. I think as we teach we need to keep in perspective the way children think. We need to be more colorful, creative, and movement oriented. Without a child-like outlook on teaching how are we supposed to reach those we are called teach.
Question: What do you think helps kids remember information better, visual color or body movement and action?

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a really important concept! It's true that we need to make sure our classrooms are stimulating environments for our students. And I think the answer to your question totally depends on the kid. Some kids are visual learners, some are kinesthetic learners. So we need to make sure we're using elements of both types of learning in our teaching.

    ReplyDelete