Quote: “We need to examine what literacy activities our students are engaging with out of school and consider how we can form bridges to support students within school” (P, 70).
Comment: I really liked the idea of bringing the students’ pop culture interests into the classroom. A lot of times, students are asked to express themselves creatively in writing and we try to pick out inspiring things from an academic standpoint. While I agree that students need this type of prompting, I also think writing would feel like less of a chore if they got to reflect and expand on things they are already interested in. You could have them write alternate endings to a well known story, or write a video game plot from another character’s point of view. You could do a brainstorming list of their favorite things and draw on that during assignments.
Question: How do we choose a subject that can reach every child, since they all have such diverse interests?
It is true that kids have many diverse interests. What I would do is make a time during class called, "My time." This is where the kids can write whatever they want, read whatever they wants, draw whatever they want, etc. This could help alleviate the strict regimen that the curriculum sometimes brings.
ReplyDelete