Quote: "Make genuine attempts to involve parents in their children's education." - Paul, 58
Comments: I can't even begin to express the importance of getting parents involved. This whole chapter screams the importance of making sure we make connections with our students to their lives outside of school. I think this goes back to what is stressed in every education class: GET TO KNOW YOUR STUDENTS! If we actively involve our students, we have just increased the support for that child dramatically. So much of what is learned in school needs to be reinforced informally outside the classroom. If we keep parents involved, they will be able to do just that. They will be able to identify and take advantage of those small teaching moments that really apply academics to the real world.
Question: How would you go about involving those parents who have other priorities? How do you help those kids get that support that they aren't receiving for whatever reason?
I totally asked you the same question!! This one stumps me a bit. I think sending a specific assignment home asking for the parents signature to say they completed it could be helpful. Something that would force the parent to interact with their children. I think hopefully at some point their will be teacher volunteers that can spend individual time with each child and you can make sure those who aren't getting the support at home are getting this time.
ReplyDelete