1) Quote: "Literacy practices are patterned by social institutions and power relations, and some literacies are more dominant, visible and influential than others." "...school is only one setting where literacy takes place."
2) Comment: I believe that teachers must consciously recognize that some literacy practices are more dominant than others. If we don't, then our students will suffer. When we are narrow minded about literacy and only believe that it consists of reading books and writing essays, then our students who have a different literacy culture won't be recognized. We need to be curious, get to know our students and find out what literacy practices they engage in within their culture. And we should know that they will be different from our culture, and we can accept it. Once we do that then we can connect with the child and use their common literacy practices to link them to the literacy in the school room. The key is to recognize and accept many literacy practices.
3)Question: What are some ways to find out a child's literacy practice that is not a visible or dominant literacy practice?
I that is a great question Whit! I don't really know the right answer to that, but I came up with a few ideas. We have been taking so many classes that have opened us up to ways to teach creatively and dramatically in the classroom and I think that if we apply those aspects, like music, art, acting, movement, etc., and are observant of our students we will be able to glimpse their hidden literacies. Also, I think it goes back to loving the children and getting to know them as individuals. If we have an open heart to them and truly want to love and help them, then God will send His spirit to help make us aware of their strengths and how we can use those to help the children grow.
ReplyDelete