Thursday, September 9, 2010

Shalyn Shelton (3) Teaching the reading and writing process

Quote: "She knows that it's quite common for two students to read the same book and come away with different interpretations because meaning doesn't exist on the pages of a book; instead, comprehension is created through the interaction between readers and the texts they're reading."

Comment: My favorite part of the reading for this week was learning about the steps of reading that teachers should take- "Prereading, reading, responding, exploring, and applying". I also like how the book talks about drawing from students background knowledge. When teachers do this, then students are better able to make connections and understand what they're learning. This quote stood out to me in the text because I firmly believe what it says. Meaning is created by the reader.

Question: At what age/ grade/ reading level should students be given idependent reading time and why?

1 comment:

  1. I think that students should be given independent reading time as soon as they are old enough to read on their own, and they have a sufficient reading level to do so. At first this time should be limited to a short amount of time, but as students become more used to reading on their own and stay on task they should be allowed to read for longer periods of time. I think that reading on their own would motivate children to love reading and help them to feel successful.

    ReplyDelete