Quote: "One of the most consistent findings across our studies with first-, third-, and fifth-grade children was the power of choice. When children told us about both narrative and information books they 'most enjoyed' reading, over 80% responded that they had self-selected books from classroom libraries...only 10% of the children in our study talked about books or stories that had been 'assigned' by the teacher...findings from a number of studies suggest a strong correlation between choice and the development of intrinsic motivation." (21-22, Gambrell)
Comment: This part of the article really stood out to me. It just makes so much sense. Of course the students are more intrinsically motivated when they are choosing the books for themselves. I am the same way. When I choose a book or subject I am interested in I am much more excited and intrinsically motivated to read it. When a teacher assigns a book, I am reading it most of the time for the grade. Giving students more choices would ultimately make them more interested in reading and allow them to obtain ownership of their learning. I think this is probably a challenge in today's classroom--providing enough opportunity for choice. The huge focus that is set on standards certainly can't make it easy.
Question: How can teachers create more opportunities for choice in their classroom? What other subjects can this idea be implemented into?
I completely agree. I used to work as a nanny to these two little kids and if I didn't make EVERYTHING I needed them to do sound like it was actually their choice, I absolutely couldn't get them to do it. Kids want to be in charge of their learning, and while this isn't always possible, teachers should leave as much room as possible for personal choice. I think they'll get much better results from their students.
ReplyDelete