Saturday, September 11, 2010

Whitney Winegar - Motivation- (3)

Quote:
"A questions that teachers often ask about the children they are most concerned with is, "How can i motivate this student to read?" The research we have conducted....... suggests that a more appropriate question for us to ask is, "How do we create an environment in which this student will be motivated to read?"

Comment:
Wow! This statement changed my whole perspective about motivation! I have always been so worried about motivating students because it is such a daunting task to change someones attitude about something. But this quote showed me that obviously you can't change a child's view but you can change the environment around the child so then they have a greater chance to become interested. I feel like a burden has been lifted off my shoulders because while I can't control the child, I can control the environment in the classroom. I can make my classroom more literacy rich so that children can choose to become motivated to read.

Question:
We should strive to make out classroom a safe and comfortable environment for kids to learn in. But in the Gambrell paper, it says that 17% feel embarrassed or sad when they have to read aloud in class. With that said, do you believe that teachers should allow popcorn reading and make kids read aloud to their classmates?

1 comment:

  1. That is a really great question. As a kid I never struggled reading out loud so that never seemed an issue, but after being in all of these El Ed classes I realize that people's comfort with reading out loud is something really important we need to take into account. In one of my courses at BYU a professor passed out a card for us to write soemthings on it to get to know us then we wrote yes or no, depending if we were willing to say a prayer or not. Maybe if a teacher has their class do something at the beginning the year like fill out a get to know you form there can be a spot on there for the student to write if they feel comfortable reading out loud or not, just to give the teacher a heads up.

    ReplyDelete