Quote: “Gee considered that people can occupy different, or multiple identities, in relation to the different discourse communities we occupy. We might be a parent in one context, a teacher in another, a member of a band in another. We can move between these identities as we go about our life” (Paul, 17).
Comment: I posted a quote last week as well about identities but when I read this section in Paul I knew I wanted to comment on it. I find it such a new concept that our literacy helps shape our identity. I love in this quote when talks about how we use multiple identities depending upon the situation we may be in. we talk differently in an interview than we do with our family on a casual day. This got me thinking that if we have so many different literacy identities does that affect our real identity? I believe that it does. It is like the concept of brick work. You lay one brick at a time until you have created a building. We have multiple identities which shape our one true identity. This is definitely just my opinion, and I know it’s subject to debate, but I like to think of identities in this way.
Question: Which sentence in more correct? That literacy shapes our identity or that our identity shapes are literacy?
I totally believe that both are correct. I don't know if 'literacy shapes our identity' is more correct but i know that it has alot to do with it. In every situation you talk differently to those around you. Which creates an identity and in a way what you read is different too. When you are at school you read certain things and when you are at home you read other things. Its all different which gives you your identities.
ReplyDelete