Quote: "Part of the composing process draws on a child's experience of literacy practices, particularly the practice of reading books and practice of writing and composing in classrooms. This view of litereacy can be contrasted with a view of literacy as a set of skills. In this book, we argue that it is possible to combine an understanding of literacy as a set of skills with an understanding that we use literacy in everyday life."
Comment: I really liked how this book takes on the task of viewing literacy as an everyday learning activity and not just a set of skills learned in school. Sometimes I feel parents as well as students get the idea that school is not practical and really just a waste of time. It should rather be viewed as a learning process that helps students succeed throughout life. I have found that only those who enjoy school really learn to appreciate the step ladder that school supplies. At an elementary level, learning literacy is creating a basis for all the many years of life to come.
Questions: I wonder what would be the best method to inform elementary students and their parents about the importance of reading together and getting more comfortable with the literacy in their everyday life? Do you think the attitude of those less involved will ever change?
Hey Diana,
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of reading in everyday life. To me, this is an easy way to make students feel successful and competent. I am learning something in school, that I can take HOME with me, that helps me read fun books with my family. I think even at a young age students realize that some of the things we do in class are not realistic to real world concepts at all.
You raise a great question of raising reading awareness at home. There are the families that do it, and then families that do not. It makes me sad to see that some parents will just entrust their student's entire learning just at the schools. . . that's a lot of trust! Naturally, I want all my students to have a support family unit, but it just isn't happening. I think all we can do is invite invite invite parents to become involved with the class, in any way. The heightened awareness that home and school should be a team should expand to the importance of literacy. I like the idea of a newsletter home every week. A simple, yet effective reminder to parents that we want them to know what is going on in class, so we will come right out say it. . .