Friday, September 3, 2010

Nachelle Mackie--Establishing Identity Through Literacy

Quote: "Literacy supports identity and travels throughout our lives with us" (Pahl, 5).

Comment: As I was reading the introduction to Literacy and Education I came upon this quote and it really struck me. I guess I never thought of be literate as a way to establish myself and make an identity for myself. As I got thinking about it more, however, I realized how true this quote was. I mean, a lot of people have never met me but I have written them emails, texted them, etc. Since they have never met me personally, these writings that I have written give them some idea of who I am. Another idea I had was how the quote tells us that literacy travels throughout our lives with us. How does it do this? My thoughts were that the things we read and write make an impression on us and are always stored in our minds. There are many times where someone mentions an event that has occurred and I thought in my mind, "I read about that..." Things we read stay with us. Things we write stay with us. Things we hear stay with us. It is how the human body works.

Question: Is speaking a form of literacy?

1 comment:

  1. I believe that speaking is a form of literacy. Everything you say is said in a different tone of voice, with each tone having a different meaning. Also people tend to judge how literate a person is on how well they speak. If someone is speaking in poor and broken english we label them as less literate verses those that speak perfect english.

    ReplyDelete