Friday, September 3, 2010

Anna Munk (3)- Emergent Literacy

Quote: "We are shaped by the way we use literacy. Our unofficial practices are as important as the public, institutional ones we participate in." (Pahl 23)

Comment: I agree with this quote. As teachers I think it is important that we really encourage literacy outside of class. We need to help students to understand that things like e-mail, writing letters, journal writing, writing notes on the fridge, etc. are all practices of literacy. We should encourage them to participate in these things at home and help them to have fun with literacy!

Question: What are some unofficial practices of literacy that we can encourage students to do outside of class that will help them to gain a love for literature?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree, I think that it is so important for children to realize that writing and literacy can come in so many different forms, and that if they dont like one, they can use another. I think the more kids realize what their options are, and how easy or fun it can be, they could be more excited in participating in activities that help them practice literacy in different forms. Not every writing experience has to be an essay, and not every reading experience has to be a text book or a novel.

    ReplyDelete