Friday, September 10, 2010

Heather Boatwright (4) Books are Physical

Quote: "When teaching, it helps to suggest to students that books are physical, live artefacts with a story and system behind them...viewing the texts children use and make in class in this light fives them a far deeper understanding...On the whole, children understand by doing and by using symbolic practices...understanding texts as artefacts of practices facilitates a more meaningful engagement with language"

Comment: I had never realized how much better many children learn when using images and hands on activities. Relating literature to them in this same light is an excellent way to encourage students to read and one that I had not considered. Teaching students that books are not simply words on a page but the living thoughts and ideas of individuals who lived their own lives and write from their own view and experiences, may have a larger impact than I had previously considered.

Question: In what way can you implement this thought process into your classroom when teaching literature? How will you make the books you teach come alive for students?

1 comment:

  1. I am a very visual learner, so this makes so much sense to me. I loved reading as a kid because it was an escape to another place, even if it was a factual book about snakes. I think teaching about the author or relating the factual books to a country and its people can make the whole picture come alive. Or I remember reading novels in 6th grade about medieval times while we were in that unit. That way it all related and really came alive for me.

    ReplyDelete