Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Build Parents' Knowledge

Quote: "Too often, teachers assume that parents know how to support their children's literacy learning, but many parents don't know how to read aloud, respond to their children's writing, or use other literacy procedures." Tompkins, pg 31.
Comment: I was pleased to read the above quote in our text. I consider myself a very active participant in my children's education however, I too don't always know how to support the teacher. Especially in literacy. I read aloud to my daughters and we we together but I loved the suggestions that followed this quote about how to get parents involved. We should, as teachers, be proactive in creating new ways to involve families in the happenings of the classroom.
Question: In the Pahl text, the phrase "an autonomous model of literacy" is used in the section on literacy as a social practice (pg 3). What do you think they mean by "autonomous model"?

1 comment:

  1. I think its true we should inform parents on what they could do to help their students better. Maybe as teachers we can type up a sheet for the parents for the kids to take home including book titles, and strategies to help their child progress at home.

    Courtney Harrison

    ReplyDelete