Quote: "Now, researchers are looking at literacy learning from the child's point of view. Literacy development has been broadened to incorporate the cultural and social aspects of language learning, and children's experiences with and understandings about written language--both reading and writing--are included as part of emergent literacy." Tompkins, 111
Comment: I really agreed with this point from the reading. I am glad that the researchers, whomever they may be are taking a closer look at teaching children to read based on materials that would appeal to their point of view. I can definitely appreciate the approach to teaching a child to read and write based on what they already know and understand. It seems to me that ensuring that the children are allowed to experiment and work with material that is familiar, comfortable, and interesting to them will not only allow the child to feel more successful in their beginning formative stages of literacy, but also interest and encourage them to learn more about reading and writing. I believe that one of the best ways to keep children learning is to keep them interested. So if a child wants to write a story about the game she played with her friends at recess instead of filling out questions on a reading worksheet, so much the better! (And who could blame her? :) ) Allowing the cultural and social aspects of a child's life to influence their experience with both creating and understanding texts will help foster that allusive ideal of helping children to come to love reading and writing instead of loathing it.
Question: What are some creative ways we can facilitate as teachers so that our students can draw from details in their personal life to make choices about their personal literacy education in the classroom?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing to have such insight from research and I too am grateful for it!
ReplyDeleteI too agree that the best way to keep a child learning is to keep them interested. With that I think that literacy doesn't come in just one form but can come in many forms. Incorporating personal interests, such as sports, family, movies, books and hobbies, can only scaffold literacy within their personal life. A creative way to facilitate personal literacy in the classroom could be to maybe find other students who have a common interest to do other assignments together. By having this support group within the classroom I can see students pursuing and increasing their personal literacy outside of the classroom. Also I think it is equally important to have parents involve in their child's personal literacy.