Quote: "'I was thinking all the time in the story. I guess that's why I know so much about it. This thinking is a good idea."'
Comment: I absolutely loved the story in the beginning of the chapter. I learned that I want to provide many opportunities while my students are reading to truly ponder, reflect, predict and analyze the story they are reading to create meaning. I loved that the teacher in the vignette provided different prompts and wrote them on poster boards so the students could contribute to the meaning of the prompt. When I have been in classes where teachers take the time to truly study a book in this way, I get so much more out of the book than I would have otherwise received if I read the book by myself. This way of teaching makes reading enjoyable and creates lifelong readers!
Question: In the vignette the teacher asked a question about divorce...how can I talk about a tender subject without creating emotional discomfort or fury in my classroom?
I think for a topic like this, you need to know your students. Some students may be more senstive than others when it comes to these kinds of topics. One child may be going through a divorce and need this. While another child may be going through a divorce and talking about it may just be too hard.I think if you create a caring community of learners, topics such as these will be easier to discuss because the students will know that they are loved and everything is done with them in mind. Also, I think not to make it pointed at one students, but to point out that it is for everyone's learning. Sharing a story about the topic will be a good way to introduce the topic in a more casual way.
ReplyDelete